Deputy President William Ruto on Sunday mocked political leaders who have been endearing themselves to the electorate by claiming to be 'hustlers'.
In a video seen by Kenyans.co.ke, the DP stated: "Zamani watu walikuwa wanadharau mahustler, sasa wameanza kugundua kumbe hapa ndiyo maneno yote iko (In the past, people used to dismiss hustlers, now they have realised that the term is resonates with Kenyans).
"Sasa kila mtu anataka kuwa hustler (Everyone now wants to be associated with the enterprising commoners)."
Ruto joked that "Hata wale wadosi wameanza kupiga kona wanasema ata sisi unajua ni watu wa hustler, sawa sawa karibuni (Even the rich now claim that they are also self-made. Its okay, they are welcome)."
He was speaking in Kakamega county, where he met with the region’s leaders who formally expressed their support for his 2022 presidential bid.
His remarks came after opposition leader Raila Odinga on Friday asked Kenyans not pass judgment on President Uhuru Kenyatta and himself because they come from prominent families.
Raila pointed out that they worked hard to achieve what they have today and further added that the "dynasty" tag used on them was unfair.
"You cannot now say Uhuru is a part of a dynasty. Jomo Kenyatta was just a pauper before he fought to be where he got," Raila stated.
"I am not part of any dynasty either. Jaramogi Oginga Odinga was just a pauper; you could say he was a hustler,” he added.
Ruto has in the past used the term 'hustler' to refer to his enterprising nature having risen from a chicken seller to the second highest office in the country.
Here is the DP Ruto's video:
- uproar10 August 2020 - 7:42 pm
- Roped in10 August 2020 - 7:39 pm
- Done Deal10 August 2020 - 7:17 pm
- lovebirds10 August 2020 - 6:36 pm
- New Horizons10 August 2020 - 6:05 pm
- close shave10 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- watch out10 August 2020 - 5:12 pm
- City Tour10 August 2020 - 5:08 pm
- Anticipated Return10 August 2020 - 4:02 pm
- stranded10 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- latest10 August 2020 - 2:27 pm
- furious10 August 2020 - 1:29 pm