Deputy President William Ruto on Sunday mocked political leaders who have been endearing themselves to the electorate by claiming to be 'hustlers'.
In a video seen by Kenyans.co.ke, the DP stated: "Zamani watu walikuwa wanadharau mahustler, sasa wameanza kugundua kumbe hapa ndiyo maneno yote iko (In the past, people used to dismiss hustlers, now they have realised that the term is resonates with Kenyans).
"Sasa kila mtu anataka kuwa hustler (Everyone now wants to be associated with the enterprising commoners)."
Ruto joked that "Hata wale wadosi wameanza kupiga kona wanasema ata sisi unajua ni watu wa hustler, sawa sawa karibuni (Even the rich now claim that they are also self-made. Its okay, they are welcome)."
He was speaking in Kakamega county, where he met with the region’s leaders who formally expressed their support for his 2022 presidential bid.
His remarks came after opposition leader Raila Odinga on Friday asked Kenyans not pass judgment on President Uhuru Kenyatta and himself because they come from prominent families.
Raila pointed out that they worked hard to achieve what they have today and further added that the "dynasty" tag used on them was unfair.
"You cannot now say Uhuru is a part of a dynasty. Jomo Kenyatta was just a pauper before he fought to be where he got," Raila stated.
"I am not part of any dynasty either. Jaramogi Oginga Odinga was just a pauper; you could say he was a hustler,” he added.
Ruto has in the past used the term 'hustler' to refer to his enterprising nature having risen from a chicken seller to the second highest office in the country.
Here is the DP Ruto's video:
- Bet & Win1 December 2021 - 6:15 pm
- HOLIDAY1 December 2021 - 6:33 pm
- ELEVATED1 December 2021 - 7:16 pm
- Puzzling1 December 2021 - 5:14 pm
- Gloves off1 December 2021 - 4:32 pm
- DIFFERS1 December 2021 - 4:46 pm
- Billionaires1 December 2021 - 4:12 pm
- BLASTED1 December 2021 - 4:37 pm
- Heartwarming1 December 2021 - 3:04 pm
- Blocked1 December 2021 - 2:56 pm
- Remarkable1 December 2021 - 2:07 pm
- Rough Patch1 December 2021 - 12:51 pm