Deputy President William Ruto on Sunday mocked political leaders who have been endearing themselves to the electorate by claiming to be 'hustlers'.
In a video seen by Kenyans.co.ke, the DP stated: "Zamani watu walikuwa wanadharau mahustler, sasa wameanza kugundua kumbe hapa ndiyo maneno yote iko (In the past, people used to dismiss hustlers, now they have realised that the term is resonates with Kenyans).
"Sasa kila mtu anataka kuwa hustler (Everyone now wants to be associated with the enterprising commoners)."
Ruto joked that "Hata wale wadosi wameanza kupiga kona wanasema ata sisi unajua ni watu wa hustler, sawa sawa karibuni (Even the rich now claim that they are also self-made. Its okay, they are welcome)."
He was speaking in Kakamega county, where he met with the region’s leaders who formally expressed their support for his 2022 presidential bid.
His remarks came after opposition leader Raila Odinga on Friday asked Kenyans not pass judgment on President Uhuru Kenyatta and himself because they come from prominent families.
Raila pointed out that they worked hard to achieve what they have today and further added that the "dynasty" tag used on them was unfair.
"You cannot now say Uhuru is a part of a dynasty. Jomo Kenyatta was just a pauper before he fought to be where he got," Raila stated.
"I am not part of any dynasty either. Jaramogi Oginga Odinga was just a pauper; you could say he was a hustler,” he added.
Ruto has in the past used the term 'hustler' to refer to his enterprising nature having risen from a chicken seller to the second highest office in the country.
Here is the DP Ruto's video:
- bravo!23 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- turf wars23 September 2020 - 7:56 pm
- Baba Speaks23 September 2020 - 7:16 pm
- be warned23 September 2020 - 7:01 pm
- changes23 September 2020 - 6:44 pm
- road carnage23 September 2020 - 6:37 pm
- please23 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Pay Up23 September 2020 - 4:31 pm
- man of many firsts23 September 2020 - 4:57 pm
- disaster averted23 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Ruto's Reaction23 September 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Another one23 September 2020 - 3:28 pm