The County Government of Kiambu was on Wednesday barred from withdrawing any funds from the National Treasury by a Nairobi Court.
High Court Judge James Makau issued the order pending the hearing and determination of a constitutional petition on May 27, 2019, that was filed by 10 MCAs.
The county legislators argued that Governor Ferdinand Waititu signed into law the 2019 Appropriation Bill for the county's budget that was passed unprocedurally.
“The relevant committee in Finance, Budget and Appropriation Committee of the County Assembly were not involved and that the Bill was not moved as stipulated in the standing orders” the court heard.
On March 21, the controversial bill became the subject of a fist fight that erupted inside the County Assembly.
The bone of contention was the manner in which it was tabled in the Assembly.
Some MCAs accused the Assembly's leadership of conspiring to irregularly fast track the process of passing the Bill.
Limuru East MCA Peter Ngige, who was the Budget and Finance Committee Chairman, claimed that his team was split so that it could be replaced by members who would not question the Executive's expenditure.
When the newly constituted ad hoc committee introduced the Bill, some of the members stood and started shouting at the Speaker for allowing the document to be brought into the house without following the proper procedures.
The proceedings continued later in the day and the controversial Bill was passed.
Watch the fist fight below.fight
- Take Note26 September 2022 - 3:00 pm
- Insecurity26 September 2022 - 2:49 pm
- Inspiring26 September 2022 - 2:32 pm
- chaos26 September 2022 - 12:13 pm
- New Responsibility26 September 2022 - 12:17 pm
- Remarkable26 September 2022 - 1:56 pm
- Reprieve26 September 2022 - 11:30 am
- The Truth26 September 2022 - 10:48 am
- Directive26 September 2022 - 10:21 am
- tragedy26 September 2022 - 8:34 am
- Damage Control26 September 2022 - 7:47 am
- Orders26 September 2022 - 7:19 am