The US government has listed Kenya among top global hotspots for drug trafficking, money laundering among other economic and organised crime.
The list was revealed in the 2019 International Narcotics Control Strategy Report by US Department of State seen by Kenyans.co.ke.
"Criminal activities include transnational organized crime, cybercrime, corruption, smuggling, trade invoice manipulation, illicit trade in drugs and counterfeit goods, trade in illegal timber and charcoal, and wildlife trafficking," read the report.
The US noted that Kenya was a transit point for regional and international drug traffickers as well as trade based money laundering (TBML) activities.
"Kenya’s proximity to Somalia makes it an attractive location for laundering piracy-related proceeds, and a black market exists for smuggled and grey market goods," stated the report.
The State Department was also aware of the massive amounts of international currency in the country and their contribution to money laundering.
"Financial institutions engage in currency transactions connected to international narcotics trafficking involving significant amounts of U.S. currency derived from illegal sales in Kenya, other East Africa countries, the United States, and elsewhere," the US decried.
The US government reported that it was difficult for Kenya to track cash-based transfers involving foreign nationals.
According to a 2018 research conducted by American think tank National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), wealthy Kenyans have hidden as much as Ksh5 trillion in overseas accounts.
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm