Miguna Barred From Boarding Plane at German Airport


    Colonel (Rtd) Cyrus Oguna stated that the government would deal with any matter arising outside the country to facilitate Miguna's arrival in Kenya.

    Self-proclaimed National Resistance Movement (NRM) leader Miguna Miguna was barred from boarding his flight to Frankfurt at TXL Airport in Berlin, Germany on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.

    Image of Miguna Miguna at Frankfurt Airport on January 7th, 2020

    The Lufthansa flight LH590 that the embattled lawyer had booked for his much-anticipated return was scheduled to leave Germany at 11.20 a.m. and arrive in Nairobi at 9.25 p.m.

    Miguna's lawyer, John Khaminwa, intimated to Kenyans.co.ke that he received a call from the exiled barrister at around 8.30 a.m., informing him of the happenings.

    "We have just received a call from Miguna that the German authorities have stopped him from boarding the plane because the Kenyan government has not communicated with them at all," he told this writer.

    Miguna also told Khaminwa that he would not board the plane if the matter was not resolved within twenty minutes. Khaminwa immediately sought to get in touch with government officials to get them to correct the situation.

    Justice Weldon Korir on Monday, January 6, 2020, issued orders to ensure Miguna's re-entry was not interfered with by the state. 

    The Department of Immigration Services further issued a statement confirming that it would facilitate his return in compliance with the court order.

    Kenyans.co.ke reached out to Government Spokesperson Colonel (Rtd) Cyrus Oguna to confirm if the state was aware of the events in Frankfurt.

    "The position of the government still remains, he's free to come back as long as he has the valid travel documents," he stated.

    Although seemingly not aware of the occurrence in Berlin, Oguna advised Miguna and his legal team against giving the government twenty-minute ultimatums.

    "If you're giving a whole government twenty minutes, basically you're giving the government twenty minutes as who? I think it is also perhaps giving this matter weight that should not be given to it," he asserted.

    Khaminwa, however, clarified that it was not an ultimatum but rather the plane's Captain had told Miguna they needed confirmation from the Kenyan government within twenty minutes as the plane was to leave.

    Colonel (Rtd) Cyrus Oguna later told Nation that they would deal with any matters arising outside the country and that Miguna's re-entry would be facilitated.

    Image of Miguna's lawyer Dr. John Khaminwa in court