A Kenyan journalist in nursing injuries after he was attacked by goons on Monday, January 20, while heading to an early morning church service.
"This morning at around 4:15 a.m., I was on my way to church for morning prayers. Around 200m from the Tala Bus Station on the way to Kisukioni, at a place called Vangala, I met two men who were armed with a panga and a heavy metal rod.
"The one with the rod hit me on the legs and the other cut me with the panga on the head, right arm, and right leg. After I fell down, they took my phone and some money I had and told me to run,” recounted the journalist.
The journalist, who works as the station's correspondent for Kangundo and Matungulu sub-counties, was rushed to Matungulu Medical Center for treatment after the incident.
“I have already reported the matter to Tala Police Station and I believe police will take action,” he continued.
Kenya Correspondents Association, later that day, condemned the attack and urged the police to open investigations into the matter.
"We condemn the attack on Boniface Wambua of Mbaitu FM in Kangudo early this morning and urge the police to launch investigations on the motive with a view to holding the attackers accountable. The motive of the attack remains unclear.
"We stand in solidarity and urge all journalists at Mbaitu FM and in the region to remain courageous in doing the duties. The entire KCA family stands in solidarity," shared the association on Facebook.
In yet another assault incident targeted at a journalist on Monday, January 13, a photo-journalist, Laban Walloga, attached to Daily Nation was clobbered by police officers in Mombasa as he attempted to cover protests triggered by controversial Standard Gauge Railway (SGR) regulations that activists argue have negatively impacted the Coastal city's economy.
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm
- Imagethe architect22 February 2020 - 1:01 pm
- ImagePower play22 February 2020 - 11:21 am