Central Organisation of Trade Unions (COTU) Secretary General Francis Atwoli was on the receiving end of a lucrative cash handout from KANU prior to the 1992 General Election, as reported by Daily Nation.
Testifying before the Goldenberg Inquiry Commission on October 12, 2004, former Lurambi legislator Reuben Otutu revealed that alongside Atwoli, they were given money by government officials and KANU campaigns coordinators to contest for seats in Western Kenya.
After securing nomination at the party primaries, the duo set out to seek funds that would facilitate its campaigns.
Atwoli was an aspirant for the Butere parliamentary seat while Otutu eyed the Lurambi seat.
The former MP testified that acting on a directive from then Western Provincial Commissioner Francis Lekolool, the duo went to State House to see a man they had been told was Joshua Kulei.
"I was with my friend who was also running on a KANU ticket in Butere Constituency. He is Francis Atwoli, the present secretary-general of COTU," Otutu testified.
"We assumed that this was the Kulei we were told by the PC. I had not known Kulei personally. He gave us these envelopes and we left straight away," he added.
Upon receiving envelopes from State House, Atwoli and the former MP set out to commence on their campaigns.
"We noticed that there was money and when we reached town, we checked and found that we had Ksh 500,000 each. It was in Ksh 500 notes. We went home and began serious campaigns," Otutu revealed.
However, despite funding from the national office and the Kakamega KANU branch, Atwoli was unable to clinch the Butere seat.
On his side, Otutu was successfully elected and served as Lurambi MP from 1992 to 1997.
Atwoli has always maintained that hi is a life-long member of KANU.
"I am in a class of those old people who belonged to KANU. I am in KANU," Atwoli affirmed while addressing the media on February 25, 2018.
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm