The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) Competition Commission, has recalled some batches of Ceres 100% Apple Juice.
The juice was recalled following laboratory tests and engagements with the supplier of the apple juice.
In a statement, the commission noted that the supplied concentrate contains patulin levels higher than the recommended threshold of 50 parts per billion (microgram/kg).An image of the Ceres Apple Juice(COURTESY)
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), patulin may cause nausea, gastrointestinal disturbances and vomiting.
The commission has asked the public to exercise caution and avoid the purchase or consumption of the recalled products.
Similarly, consumers and retailers have been urged to check their products – by identifying the 'best before' dates associated with recalled batches – and contact suppliers to return the goods for a refund.
"If the above products were already purchased, consumers are advised to return the products where they were purchased for a refund or replacement."
In Namibia and South Africa, Woolworths supermarket has asked its customers to return the product.
"Food safety is critically important to Woolworths and we take all issues regarding the production of our food extremely seriously. Following routine quality tests, Woolworths is recalling Woolworths branded 100% Apple Juice 200ml cartons," reads the statement.
The Commission has also welcomed any representations on the matter from all interested stakeholders and the public.
Other Countries where the juice has been recalled include; the DRC, Uganda, Mauritius, Zambia and South Africa.An undated photo of the Ceres juiceCeres
- tragic24 October 2021 - 5:41 pm
- details24 October 2021 - 6:13 pm
- Victory24 October 2021 - 4:14 pm
- details24 October 2021 - 3:54 pm
- HUNTED24 October 2021 - 5:11 pm
- ARRESTED24 October 2021 - 2:53 pm
- HEART DESIRE24 October 2021 - 3:25 pm
- Tragic24 October 2021 - 3:54 pm
- shots fired24 October 2021 - 1:29 pm
- Called Off24 October 2021 - 1:17 pm
- OPPORTUNITIES24 October 2021 - 2:56 pm
- At crossroads24 October 2021 - 1:24 pm