A new proposal to the Constitutional Implementation Oversight Committee (CIOC) has recommended that Kikuyus and Kalenjins be barred from contesting for the presidency for 52 years.
The contentious proposal was made by a retired Major General Joel Kiprono in a radical list aimed at rotating the presidency to all the 42 tribes in Kenya.
The General also wants all youths leaving school to undergo a mandatory military service, which is slightly different from the current National Youth Service (NYS).
“The young person in the NYS is neither voluntary nor an employee, neither civilian nor soldier but he is always in uniform. That person is likely to be used as a tool by mischievous Kenyans,” remarked Kiprono as quoted by Nation.
In addition, the former soldier wants individuals owning more than 100 acres, ordered to give up the excess on leasehold, while foreigners barred from owning land.
Kiprono's proposals are among a list of ideas currently being viewed by CIOC to determine the initiatives that will be included in a plebiscite presented in Parliament.
CIOC member Ababu Namwamba, expressed that the committee was looking into Kiprono's suggestions among other referendum drives, to combine them into a collective push for one idea.
- ImageBright Side1 April 2020 - 12:01 pm
- Imagesad1 April 2020 - 12:22 pm
- ImageHeartwarming1 April 2020 - 11:39 am
- ImageWhere are they?1 April 2020 - 11:21 am
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am