Eight teachers of St John Baraka Academy in Machakos were on Friday caught transporting 133 pupils in a 41-seater matatu.
The vehicle was intercepted by officials from the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) while ferrying the children from South Eastern Agricultural Show held at the Machakos show ground.
The teachers had earlier told NTSA officials that the bus was carrying 60 pupils, as some were sharing seats.
However, upon conducting a head count the officials established that the actual number of passengers was 141.
“The number looked more, we discovered that six pupils were sharing seats meant to accommodate two passengers,” Christopher Kimutai from NTSA said.
It is alleged that parents had paid Sh1000 per student for the tour.
According to a parent who spoke to journalists, the school management had promised to procure three buses for the trip.
Here is the video.
- Tough times5 February 2023 - 8:38 pm
- Unbothered5 February 2023 - 7:38 pm
- Unlawful5 February 2023 - 6:31 pm
- Victory5 February 2023 - 7:56 pm
- Be Careful5 February 2023 - 7:19 pm
- Journey5 February 2023 - 6:51 pm
- CREDITS5 February 2023 - 5:55 pm
- Lanes5 February 2023 - 3:41 pm
- Accident5 February 2023 - 4:41 pm
- take note5 February 2023 - 3:30 pm
- Thirsty Days Ahead5 February 2023 - 4:17 pm
- Strategy5 February 2023 - 3:01 pm