Ministry of Energy & Petroleum
Subscribe to Ministry of Energy & Petroleum
The Ministry is a successor to the Ministry of Energy.
With the recent discoveries of possible fossil fuels, coal and other energy sources in the country, the Ministry has been tasked to focus on formulation and implementation of policies that will ensure effective extraction of petroleum, while at the same time facilitating the exploration and/or exploitation of other energy sources.
The Ministry is charged with the development of energy resources for national development and ensuring every Kenyan has access to electricity by 2020. The Ministry will not only expand electricity production capacity to meet our needs but will also transform Kenya into a net exporter of energy.
- Coal plant: 900-1000MW coal fired power plant in Lamu. Negotiations with the successful bidder, a consortium of companies (Gulf Energy; Centum Investment; Sichuan Electric Power and Design & Consulting Company; Sichuan No.3 Electric Power Construction Company; and CHD Power Plant Operation) are ongoing. To be completed in 2017.
- Power Generation: Facilitated and supported the development of a total of 406 Megawatts of new power generation capacity as follows: 87.5 MW Thika Power Ltd; 52 MW Orpower Plant III at Okaria; 24 MW Kindaruma upgrade; 12.8 MW Olkaria wellhead; 20 MW Olkaria well heads; and 210 MW Olkaria Geothermal units
- Coal development: Progressed the procurement of an Independent Power Producer (IPP) to develop the 700 MW LNG power plant at Dongo Kundu to Tender adjudication stage.
- Geothermal Exploration in Morendat-Malewa area: Progressed the procurement of an Independent Power Producer (IPP) to develop the 960MW Coal power plant at Lamu to Tender adjudication stage.
- Connection of electricity to public institutions: Provided support for electrification of 5,000 public primary schools, with 4,481 electrified through the National Grid and 603 through Solar PV.
- Monitor, supervise and report on the results of drilling oil exploration wells 4: Etuko, Amosing-1, and Ewoi-1 Wells were spud in Block 10BB; whereas Ekales, and Agete-1 Wells were spud in Block 13T; Bahasi-1 Well was spud in Block 9. The drilling for all the wells was started in 2013.
- Coal Exploration in the Karoo System: The Ministry has prepared contracts for private firms to tender for exploratory drilling for coal in both Kilifi and Kwale counties. The Ministry also held test drilling and consultative meetings with leadership and the public in the two counties for smooth implementation of the coal drilling in FY 2014/15.
- Coal Exploration in Meru/Isiolo: The Ministry has indentified and established access to six coal exploratory drilling sites. The Ministry also held test drilling and consultative meetings with leadership and the public in the two counties for the smooth implementation of the coal drilling in FY 2014/15.
- Geothermal Exploration in Morendat-Malewa area: The Ministry carried out Geological, Geophysical and Geochemical Surveys and completed delineation of the Morendat-Malewa and Kigio-Marula geothermal prospects.
- Installation of wind Energy storage facility in Marsabit: Project is ongoing and is expected to be completed by December 2014.
- Installation of wind masts and data loggers: Contract for installation of five 100 meter masts awarded and works have commenced.
- Re-afforestation of Upper Tana: Works on Sondu Miriu catchment started in Chepalungu, Ndoinet and Saino. Community mobilization completed in all sites and sites preparation in readiness for March/April planting ongoing.
- Lake Turkana Wind power Plant: 300MW by IPP to be completed in 2017. 60MW Kinangop Aeolus Wind plant.
- Olkaria I: Construction of Unit 4 and 5 for 140MW is expected to be commissioned in Jan 2014; and Unit 6 for 70MW in 2015; while refurbishment of the existing units will give additional 45MW on completion in 2016.
- Olkaria IV: Construction of 140MW of Units 1 and 2 to be completed and commissioned in May 2014, Unit for 70MW in 2015, and Units 4 and 5 for 140MW in 2016.
- Olkaria V: 140MW for Units 1 and 2 to be commissioned in 2017.
- Olkaria II: Construction of Units 4 and 5 will be undertaken to have 140MW installed in 2018.
- Menengai Phase I: Construction of 400MW power plants to be completed in 2017.
Ministry of Energy & Petroleum,
P. O. Box 30582 Kenya
Telephone: +254 020 310112
Fax: +254 020 228314
Telex: 23094 MINERGY