National Super Alliance (NASA) principal Raila Odinga is under fire from various quarters despite clarifying on a video clip that went viral showing him allegedly inciting the Maasai at a rally in Kajiado County.
In the video, Odinga cautions the local community against any attempts for them to dispose of their ancestral land.
Odinga states that the locals have been rendered poor out of the fact that the laws do not allow them to sell their lands to develop their communities.
He, however, warned that ‘outsiders’ should be barred from buying the lands explaining that they (‘outsiders') should instead buy the lands from where they came from.
“Sasa watu wanalazimishwa kuuza tu mashamba yao. Unauza mashamba sababu si kupenda kwako, unauza wa sababu ya ufukara, wao wanakuja tu wanavamia mpaka hakuna mashamba sababu ya ufukara,” said Odinga.
The remarks elicited mixed reactions including calls by the leader of Majority Aden Duale who called on the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) and the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) to probe Odinga over hate speech.
Odinga on his part, however, at a press conference sought to clarify the issue and stated that he had been misquoted.
“I talked about land in the context of poverty alleviation and the Jubilee government stands accused of depriving the people of Kajiado to the point of selling their land for a song,” stated Odinga.
He reiterated that President Uhuru Kenyatta’s government had failed to deliberate on the land question for the Maasai forcing the community to live in abject poverty.
Here is the video.
- Tragic21 January 2021 - 1:36 pm
- in trouble21 January 2021 - 1:06 pm
- Beware21 January 2021 - 2:00 pm
- Accosted21 January 2021 - 12:14 pm
- dramatic21 January 2021 - 11:59 am
- Insider21 January 2021 - 11:38 am
- Take Note21 January 2021 - 11:22 am
- stringent21 January 2021 - 11:09 am
- Puzzling21 January 2021 - 10:35 am
- Opposed21 January 2021 - 10:38 am
- Nairobbery21 January 2021 - 9:55 am
- latest21 January 2021 - 9:29 am