Suna East MP Junet Mohamed Arrested in Homa Bay
The MP was arraigned before Homa Bay Law Courts Principal Magistrate, Susan Ndegwa and was charged with hate speech and incitement to violence.
He denied the charges and was released on a Sh100,000 cash bail or Sh500,000 bond.
The case will be heard on October 24th.
According to the charge sheet seen by Kenyans.co.ke, the Suna East MP made sentiments that were intended to "incite feelings of contempt, hatred and discrimination against the people of Nyeri based on their identity".
Speaking in Swahili, he is reported to have said: "Yesterday I told Governor Joho that before coming to Homa Bay, he ensures he has prepared Makaburini Ground in Mombasa so that we can go there and have Raila sworn in as the President for Mombasa, Nyanza, Western and North Eastern. The rest will remain in Nyeri".
He allegedly made the remarks on 2nd of July 2017 at Tourist Hotel in Homa Bay while addressing a public gathering.
The arrest comes days after the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) and President Uhuru Kenyatta separately issued a stern warning to leaders fanning violence through hate speech.
[caption caption="Here is Junet Mohamed's Charge Sheet"][/caption]
- 19 November 2019 - 9:44 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 7:54 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 7:30 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 8:13 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 8:56 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 7:03 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 7:48 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 6:35 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 6:08 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 5:21 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 5:01 pm
- 19 November 2019 - 4:45 pm