Coast Regional Coordinator Nelson Marwa Suspends All Bar and Club Activities
Coast Regional Coordinator Nelson Marwa has suspended all bar and club activities in the region until the voting exercise is complete.
Speaking on Monday evening, Marwa further barred any use of boats in the Indian Ocean ocean until after the election noting that drug barons were intending to smuggle drugs during the period.
In June, the National Authority for the Campaign Against Alcohol and Drug Abuse (NACADA) had recommended that all bars be closed one week before the August elections.
NACADA CEO Victor Okioma stated that the move would be geared towards ensuring Kenyans will not be under the influence of alcohol when going to the polls.
The proposal, which was never taken up by the government, sparked mixed reactions with a section of Kenyans condemning the move.
Nonetheless, some bar and club operators in certain regions have come together and resolved to close their businesses on the eve of the elections to allow voters cast their votes while sober.
In Nyahururu Town, authorities resolved to have bars closed from Monday morning to Tuesday 6 pm.
- 20 November 2019 - 5:03 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 4:14 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 5:16 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 3:34 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 4:52 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 4:20 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 3:26 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 4:46 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 3:07 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 2:19 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 1:46 pm
- 20 November 2019 - 2:47 pm