The new Parliament session which is set to start on Thursday next week has been termed as “illegal” by Ugunja MP Opiyo Wandayi.
Speaking on Saturday, Wandayi asked the Clerk of the National Assembly to revoke President Uhuru Kenyatta's Gazette notice calling on the House to reconvene on August 31.
Wandayi, who is ODM secretary for political affairs, urged the Clerk not to proceed with what he termed an “illegality in the rush to score some cheap political points".
"Let that Gazette notice be revoked and the first sitting of Parliament rescheduled to a date after the Supreme Court pronouncement on the presidential election petition currently before it," he stated in a statement to the press.
He maintained that the House would not conduct any business in the house without the input of the National Super Alliance (NASA) MPs-elect.
Wandayi explained that even if Parliament resumes with Jubilee lawmakers only, the only business that would be conducted is the swearing-in.
The legislator explained that the MPs would not elect the Speaker and the Deputy since they do not have a two-thirds majority both in the National Assembly and Senate.
“He will not be able to proceed with the election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker for the simple reason that Jubilee does not command a two-thirds majority in either the Senate or the National Assembly.
“So instead of engaging in juvenile chest-thumping, these MPs should take time and acquaint themselves with the relevant laws and Standing Orders,” he stated.
NASA MPs-elect on Thursday threatened to boycott the swearing-in ceremony until the pending presidential petition is heard and “credibly” determined.
- Done Deal10 August 2020 - 7:17 pm
- lovebirds10 August 2020 - 6:36 pm
- New Horizons10 August 2020 - 6:05 pm
- close shave10 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- watch out10 August 2020 - 5:12 pm
- City Tour10 August 2020 - 5:08 pm
- Anticipated Return10 August 2020 - 4:02 pm
- stranded10 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- latest10 August 2020 - 2:27 pm
- furious10 August 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Ultimatums10 August 2020 - 1:09 pm
- By a Whisker10 August 2020 - 1:21 pm