US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made a telephone call to President Uhuru Kenyatta on Friday.
During the call, Pompea expressed President Donald Trump's continued support for Kenya's security and economic development.
The leaders also discussed shared goals between the two countries including countering terrorism, promoting regional security and ensuring good governance.
[caption caption="US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo"][/caption]
The call also commended the recent truce by President Uhuru and NASA leader Raila Odinga under the "Building Bridges to a New Kenyan Nation" initiative.
The Secretary of State further "thanked President Kenyatta for his leadership in calling for an important national conversation to move the country forward following the 2017 election."
A statement by the State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert indicates that: "They also discussed ways to work together to hasten the end of the conflict in South Sudan and ensure continued support for AMISOM forces in Somalia."
The call comes two months after the US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited Nairobi on an official tour.
The Kenya-US relationship is about to witness a major transition with the expected exit of US Ambassador to Kenya Robert Godec.
Godec's six-year tenure is expected to end with the succession by Republican politician Kyle McCarter - a fluent Swahili speaker, Kenya charity director, and Trump's nominee who is pending vetting by the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
[caption caption="Rex Tillerson visiting Nairobi "][/caption]
Trump administration's relations with Africa have in the past been put into question after the US president ridiculed the continent in vulgar terms.
- tough hardle26 September 2020 - 8:44 am
- His Take26 September 2020 - 8:33 am
- Power play26 September 2020 - 7:36 am
- declined26 September 2020 - 7:23 am
- double standards25 September 2020 - 7:58 pm
- Winning Mentality26 September 2020 - 9:17 am
- unfortunate25 September 2020 - 7:30 pm
- please consider25 September 2020 - 7:03 pm
- heckled25 September 2020 - 6:31 pm
- Terrified25 September 2020 - 6:14 pm
- sad!25 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Chaos25 September 2020 - 4:35 pm