Woman Dies After Botched Breast Enlargement at a Nairobi Hospital

A Kenyan woman lost her life at a Nairobi hospital after a breast augmentation procedure went horribly wrong.

Reports indicate that Juliet Wanza underwent the surgery normally but she later experienced severe abdominal pain.

She then went for a checkup and the review indicated that part of her intestines had been punctured in the process.

Her blood pressure was low and she was immediately admitted in hospital.

[caption caption="File image of surgeons "][/caption]

Doctors battled to save her life but apparently, the infection in her stomach worsened since waste was seeping through the punctured intestines hence causing her discomfort.

She developed sepsis, a potentially life-threatening complication of an infection which occurs when chemicals released into the bloodstream to fight the infection trigger inflammatory responses throughout the body.

This inflammation can trigger a cascade of changes that can damage multiple organ systems, causing them to fail.

According to The Star, the family of the deceased are yet to come to terms with her demise and they want several questions answered.

"We are having the postmortem tomorrow [today]. Allow us to finish that process," they said through lawyer Jared Orare.

Specialists who attended to her stated that she had developed gas gangrene, likely from the incisions made during the surgery. 

"It was gas gangrene which is an infection of soft tissues from bacteria on the skin. I was just called in to control that.

"When gas gangrene gets under the skin, it kills blood supply and eats the fat and whatever remains. If you don’t remove the dead skin then it spreads all over and you can’t control it," divulged Prof. Stanley Khainga.

[caption caption="Prof Stanley Khainga, Head of Plastic Surgery, University of Nairobi"][/caption]


  • . .