The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is a state-owned corporation mandated with sourcing funds and issuing loans, bursaries and scholarships to deserving students in tertiary institutions.
Undergraduate students admitted to universities and colleges within the country are able to apply for the loans by following a series of simple steps.
However, these loans have to be paid once the loanee completes the course and begins gainful employment or starts generating income.
The loanee is expected to notify the board of their whereabouts within one year of completing their studies.
Here are the steps to follow when applying for a HELB loan:
1. Sign up or log in into the student portal on the HELB site www.helb.co.ke.
2. Access the Undergraduate Loan Application Form [LAF] and fill it accurately.
3. Select the correct Student Category (either government or self-sponsored), the university or university college and admission/registration number.
4. Print two copies of the LAF.
5. Sign the LAF and get it stamped by your institution's Dean of Students or Financial Aid Officer.
6. Drop the LAF personally at the Board’s Office on 18th floor, Anniversary Towers, Nairobi or any of the following HELB Desks at the Huduma centers nearest to you (i.e. Nairobi GPO, Machakos GPO, Nakuru GPO, Eldoret GPO, Kisumu, Kakamega GPO, Kisii GPO, Nyeri, Embu GPO, Mombasa GPO, Meru GPO,Thika GPO,Kitale (GPO),Bungoma(GPO), Kericho, Kitui GPO Turkana GPO and Garrissa GPO.
If you default on the payment, you will have to pay a fine of not less than five thousand shillings for every month that remains unpaid.
Currently, however, HELB has given a 100 percent waiver on all penalties for defaulters who pay up by June 30, 2018.
[caption caption="The HELB logo"][/caption]
- Speak out26 November 2020 - 12:23 pm
- fulfilled wish26 November 2020 - 11:19 am
- Armed client26 November 2020 - 11:17 am
- Tough Times26 November 2020 - 10:45 am
- Drama26 November 2020 - 12:12 pm
- Strict Measures26 November 2020 - 9:53 am
- Keep off26 November 2020 - 10:12 am
- snubbed?26 November 2020 - 9:29 am
- breaks silence26 November 2020 - 8:48 am
- savings26 November 2020 - 9:09 am
- Ghost Staff26 November 2020 - 8:16 am
- undefire26 November 2020 - 7:52 am