Lamu Senator Anwar Loitiptip Loses Seat as Court Nullifies Election
The Court of Appeal on Thursday nullified the results of the Senatorial election in Lamu County.
Anwar Loitiptip who ran on a Jubilee Party ticket lost his seat as the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) was directed to conduct a fresh election.
His election had been challenged by Wiper candidate Hassan Albeity.
The court cited various irregularities while explaining its decision to send Lamu voters back to the polls.
Albeity had moved to the Court of Appeal after losing an initial petition filed at the High Court.
[caption caption="Anwar Loitiptip"][/caption
Albeity had in his affidavit claimed that IEBC returning officers ejected his agents from polling stations, a breach of election rules.
At the time, Justice Ongeri dismissively termed the petition as a 'fishing expedition' that did not warrant a fresh poll.
"I find the petitioner has not added any evidence. It is just a fishing expedition and can’t be granted. He did not specify specific irregularities, malpractices," he noted.
The issue of the narrow 58-vote margin by which Loitiptip won had also been raised.
It remains to be seen whether Loitiptip will challenge the ruling at the Supreme Court.
[caption caption="Hassan Albeity"][/caption]
- 12 December 2019 - 8:06 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 8:19 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 7:56 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 7:28 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 6:44 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 6:19 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 5:47 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 4:26 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 5:29 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 4:52 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 4:28 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 3:37 pm