Babu Owino's 2017 election win as Embakasi East Member of Parliament (MP) was on Friday upheld by The Supreme Court.
While reading the ruling, justice Isaac Lenaola declared that Babu Owino, whose real name is Paul Ongili, was validly elected.
The court dismissed the petition by Jubilee Party candidate, Francis Mureithi, who claimed that the election was marred with massive irregularities.
Speaking after the ruling, Babu commended his team of lawyers consisting of senior council James Orengo and Jackson Awele for their exemplary work.
While noting that the case indeed affected his ongoing works, Babu thanked members of his constituency for standing up with him and vowed to serve them diligently.
"The Bible says that the ways of the righteous will always shine brighter and brighter. May God bless everybody, may God bless Kenya. This is the first step of bigger things to come," he proclaimed.
On January 13, 2018, Babu suffered a major blow after the High Court ordered a vote recount and later nullified his win citing election malpractice.
However, on June 8, 2018, the Court of appeal overturned the High Court ruling and declared Babu as the duly elected winner of Embakasi East constituency.
Nonetheless, Mureithi was dissatisfied with the decision and appealed at the Supreme Court.
Elsewhere on Friday, Kangogo Bowen, MP for Marakwet East and Annie Wanjiku Kibeh, MP for Gatundu North, won the cases against their election in rulings delivered at the top court.
The Supreme Court also validated the election of Lamu Senator Anwar Loitiptip, stating that electoral rules and the Constitution were followed.
- hotspot22 September 2021 - 7:48 pm
- Tragic22 September 2021 - 7:39 pm
- COMMUNITY ACT22 September 2021 - 7:00 pm
- GOODBYE22 September 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Take Note22 September 2021 - 6:10 pm
- HISTORIC22 September 2021 - 6:07 pm
- New Sightings22 September 2021 - 5:13 pm
- FETED22 September 2021 - 4:49 pm
- Presidential Assignment22 September 2021 - 4:45 pm
- SCHOLARSHIPS22 September 2021 - 3:50 pm
- accident22 September 2021 - 3:50 pm
- Revealed22 September 2021 - 3:06 pm