Gunmen armed with AK47 rifles, on Wednesday, raided a supermarket at Makutano town in Kirinyaga county raining bullets on unsuspecting shoppers.
According to reports, the gangsters opened fire indiscriminately at the shoppers who tried to save themselves by hiding and running away.
Two people, Carol Kasiva (32) and John Nduati (38) were killed in the attack that occurred at 7pm.
The owner of the supermarket, Michael Njeru and his wife Rodah Karimi sustained gunshot injuries when the robbers demanded to given access to the money.
They stashed the money in a bag and escaped on a motorcycle.
Njeru and his wife were rushed to Mwea Mission hospital for emergency treatment.
Confirming the incident, Mwea West police boss Joseph Matiku stated that they would use CCTV camera footage to identify the criminals.
“We are tracking down the gangsters who fled towards Ngurubani town. We shall not rest until we arrest the culprits who killed innocent customers,” he stated.
Speaking to journalists, the mother of one of the deceased (Kasiva) stated that she was at the supermarket with her daughter when the assailants struck.
“One of the gangsters shot my daughter on the left leg and she collapsed. It was so terrifying, I escaped death by a whisker,” Rahab Mbaika was quoted by the Nation.
Nduati, a hotel operator in Makutano, had gone to the supermarket to get some supplies for his business when he was shot on the chest. He managed to run out of the store but collapsed a few metres away.
The bodies were moved to White Rose Hospital mortuary.
- New Target2 March 2021 - 7:42 pm
- this is why2 March 2021 - 5:52 pm
- Update2 March 2021 - 6:42 pm
- urgent2 March 2021 - 5:18 pm
- Tragic2 March 2021 - 6:28 pm
- By-election2 March 2021 - 6:16 pm
- Giving Back2 March 2021 - 6:14 pm
- rivalry2 March 2021 - 7:47 pm
- be ready!2 March 2021 - 5:28 pm
- Innovation2 March 2021 - 7:41 pm
- last moments2 March 2021 - 4:22 pm
- caution2 March 2021 - 5:11 pm