Angry residents of Gatundu North Constituency on Thursday forcefully ejected a Chinese contractor from the construction site of the Kariminu II dam.
The residents that were drawn from Kiriko, Buchana, Gathanji and Kariminu villages stormed the site and chased away even the casual workers as they protested unsettled compensation dues.
They carried twigs and placards and chanted anti-government slogans and vowed not to vacate the land until they are compensated.
They also complained about discrimination in the compensation awards as only a few had received their money.
“We will not accept to be taken for a ride anymore," vowed Nancy Njeri, a resident and landowner.
In February, the locals had reached an agreement with the government and settled on a compensation plan of Ksh3 million per acre for the 171 acres the dam is expected to cover.
“The NLC as mandated by law has prepared a compensation schedule for the first phase of the dam. The total compensation amount for the 171 acres is Ksh1.2 billion. I have already instructed AWSB, which is the implementing agency, to expedite the compensation process. This will be done in collaboration with NLC and other stakeholders,” announced Water CS Simon Chelgui.
The then National Land Commission Chairman Muhammad Swazuri told the residents that he would even oversee the awarding of the compensation himself.
“I will personally come here on Tuesday to give out compensation awards. From Wednesday, you will start receiving the money,” stated Swazuri.
Since the Ksh24 billion contract was awarded in 2013, the project is yet to take off.
- RIP26 September 2021 - 1:16 pm
- NEW ASSOCIATION26 September 2021 - 12:39 pm
- Revealed26 September 2021 - 12:01 pm
- Insider26 September 2021 - 11:32 am
- End Curfew26 September 2021 - 11:03 am
- Confessions26 September 2021 - 10:43 am
- Lucky26 September 2021 - 10:50 am
- Retaliation26 September 2021 - 9:39 am
- RIP26 September 2021 - 8:46 am
- Revealed26 September 2021 - 8:13 am
- Promises26 September 2021 - 7:44 am
- revealed26 September 2021 - 8:43 am