The Eldoret High Court, on Monday, made its first ruling regarding the case against Naftali Kinuthia, the key suspect in the gruesome murder of Ivy Wangechi.
Mr Kinuthia is set to be detained for 14 days as the police finish up their investigations and gathering of evidence relevant to the case, with samples from the suspect and the deceased having been taken for testing at the government chemist.
Senior Resident Magistrate Nichodemus Moseti ordered that Naftali is detained by police in Nairobi until April 30, 2019.
Senior Deputy Director of Public Prosecution, Fredah Mwanzia, asked for more time to complete taking the defendant's complete statement while his lawyer, Mbiu Kamau, asked the court to allow Naftali to undergo further treatment as he was complaining of chest pains.
Naftali's father, George Kinuthia, had earlier on apologized in front of the court for the death of Ms Wangechi, a Moi University medical student who was allegedly hacked to death by his son on April 9, 2019.
"We are really sorry for what happened. This is really a difficult situation especially for the family of Ivy," he stated.
He went on to reveal that plans were in motion on his end to send elders during Wangechi's funeral, which is slated for April 18, 2019.
Naftali openly admitted to having killed Ivy citing her failure to show him love in return for all the money he claimed to have invested in her.
Divulging the details, Eldoret East DCI boss, Ali Kingi, stated that Kinuthia claimed he had sent Wangechi money, which she was supposed to use in organising her birthday party.
The murder suspect was discharged from hospital last Friday, where he had undergone extensive treatment following the mob beating he sustained once locals caught up with him after he murdered Ivy in cold blood.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm