The Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) Party has come out to clear the air on the decision by Turkana Governor Josephat Nanok to shift camp and support Deputy President William Ruto in his 2022 presidential bid.
ODM, through party chairman John Mbadi, declared that the move by Nanok was inconsequential as the governor was serving his last term as a county head.
The party also noted that the Turkana boss had the political and democratic right to support whoever he pleased.
Mbadi went on to reveal that Nanok, who was a senior leader at ODM, stopped participating in the party’s activities a long time ago.
“There is nothing new that has happened, some of the people serving their second and final term are looking for future political survival. Some want to be remembered through appointments in government,” Mbadi stated.
Minority chief whip in the National Assembly Junet Mohamed added that no matter what move Nanok made, he would always be remembered to have served both terms as Turkana governor on an ODM ticket.
“He might think the grass is greener on the other side but there might also be drought,” warned Junet, who is also ODM Elections Director.
This comes after the former Council of Governors' chair declared that he would support Ruto’s bid to succeed President Uhuru Kenyatta for the country's top job in 2022.
“As 14 governors from Rift Valley, we are working on a plan to fully support the Deputy President and form the next government because the whole country is focusing on Rift Valley to produce the next president. As Turkana people, we want to be part of that government. I will not accept to be outside government again,” Nanok had announced.
Edwin Sifuna, who is the party's Secretary-General on Monday stated that the party was yet to receive any formal complaint against governor Nanok to warrant action.
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm
- ImageBy the Bullet27 February 2020 - 1:43 pm