Meet Lake Victoria's First Female Water Bus Captain
21-year-old Abisige Aketch being a waterbus captain on Lake Victoria has accomplished some firsts.
She becomes the first female to achieve the fete and due to her age also the youngest to navigate the water bus in Africa’s largest lake.
Speaking to Citizen TV's Victoria Rubadiri, Aketch narrated her story and how she ended up in the carrier.
She explained how being at home after her o-level education with nothing to do pushed her passion for water vessels to a higher level.
The enthusiasm forced her father to enrol her at the Kisumu Maritime Institute at Grade two.
She further narrated the many challenges she faced as a lone female sea fairer in the vast lake as she is often looked down upon by male passengers.
Aketch took Rubadiri through her day where she first had a briefing with other captains before boarding the water bus.
The captain further narrated how her first days were as the passengers were mainly concerned over her gender rather than her skills on board.
She explained that her determination was the thing that kept her going amidst all the criticism from across the field.
Aketch hopes to be an inspiration to other women to plunge themselves into the male-dominated industry.
The video below courtesy of Citizen TV:
- 12 December 2019 - 8:06 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 8:19 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 7:56 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 7:28 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 6:44 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 6:19 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 5:47 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 4:26 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 5:29 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 4:52 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 4:28 pm
- 12 December 2019 - 3:37 pm