Property worth millions of shillings was lost, on Monday morning, after fire gutted down Maathai supermarket in Ruiru, Kiambu County.
Confirming the incident, Ruiru DCIO Cyrus Ombati revealed that the fire began at around 2.30 am.
The cause of the fire was not immediately established as police launched investigations.
According to The Star, by 7.30 am firefighters from Nairobi City, Thika and Kiambu towns were still trying to battle the flames.
Ruiru residents blamed the huge loss on the slow response from the fire department.
Reports by Citizen Digital indicated that most goods in the establishment were reduced to ashes as water shortage also hampered the rescue efforts.
The video of the incident, that was doing rounds online, showed smoke billowing from the building as the firemen struggled with their equipment.
Residents who had gathered around the supermarket complained and asked the Kiambu County government to ensure the metropolis gets its own fire fighting vehicles.
The incident comes just a day after another fire broke out at an apartment near Ridgeways Mall, along Kiambu Road, which claimed one life.
However, prompt action by firefighters saved the other occupants. Several others escaped with injuries.
- Tragic30 September 2020 - 9:31 am
- Watchdog30 September 2020 - 9:31 am
- New Bill30 September 2020 - 8:09 am
- Quick recovery30 September 2020 - 7:46 am
- Insider30 September 2020 - 7:07 am
- bitter exchange29 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- Expert Advice29 September 2020 - 7:12 pm
- panic29 September 2020 - 6:53 pm
- not us29 September 2020 - 6:09 pm
- Cracks Whip29 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Time Out29 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- it's time29 September 2020 - 5:10 pm