Suba North MP, Millie Odhiambo, has reached out to Interior Cabinet Secretary, Fred Matiang'i, over the security issue at L.Victoria.
Speaking during a public function, the MP requested the CS to provide patrol boats on Lake Victoria.
She stated that the patrol boats would help the fishermen from harassment by pirates.
"We are appealing to the cabinet secretary that we have passed the requisite law and we have put money in the budget, all we want is for them to bring security in the lake," she maintained.
Foreign Affairs Cabinet Administrative Secretary, Ababu Namwamba, stated that the government was negotiating with regional leaders to end fishing restrictions in Lake Victoria.
He noted that the move would end the constant harassment of fishermen by the Ugandan and Tanzanian authorities.
“The ministry is hopeful the conversations will bear fruit. The three leaders from the region have expressed support for the initiative,” Ababu noted.
Cases of Kenyan fishermen facing intimidation from Uganda security personnel have been on the rise.
Last month, a fisherman in Sumba island, Lake Victoria, cried foul after Ugandan police allegedly raided and confiscated their boat engines and fishing nets.
Ugandan security officers are said to have been angered by local fishermen’s move to continue fishing in foreign waters with illegal fishing gears.
- congratulations1 June 2020 - 3:43 pm
- Almost normal1 June 2020 - 2:54 pm
- past lessons1 June 2020 - 2:32 pm
- extra-judicial1 June 2020 - 2:08 pm
- Score card1 June 2020 - 1:50 pm
- here's Why1 June 2020 - 1:06 pm
- Spotted1 June 2020 - 12:09 pm
- in person1 June 2020 - 12:04 pm
- Punishment1 June 2020 - 11:37 am
- Anticipations1 June 2020 - 11:38 am
- still got it1 June 2020 - 11:21 am
- Insider1 June 2020 - 9:57 am