The mother to an intended groom and three other members of their entourage died after suspected poisoning at a dowry event in Kieni, Nyeri county.
Nyeri Assistant County Commissioner for Kieni West, Samuel Kariuki, affirmed that the incident took place during a dowry ceremony held in Rodama village on Thursday.
Scores of other representatives of the wedding party were rushed to Kariminu dispensary, having portrayed similar symptoms of food poisoning.
Reports also revealed that Mugunda Ward MCA, Joseph Nderitu, was among 67 members present at the ceremony who fell sick and rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment.
Two other members of the groom's family and one Rodoma village resident were also reported to have died at the celebratory event that turned tragic.
Eyewitnesses claimed that troubled started immediately after they were done indulging themselves in the bountiful feast prepared for the special event.
The groom allegedly hired the cooks who prepared the meal, according to information from members present at the ceremony.
Staff at the Kariminu dispensary revealed to Citizen Digital that all the members of the wedding party were being treated for stomach problems and diarrhoea.
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm
- ImageBy the Bullet27 February 2020 - 1:43 pm