Vihiga Senator George Khaniri on Sunday, August 25, reportedly threw his hat into the 2022 presidential contest.
As reported by The Star, Khaniri declared that he was ready to challenge Deputy President William Ruto for the country's top seat should Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) leader Raila Odinga and Amani National Congress (ANC) party leader Musalia Mudavadi back down from the race.
The ANC senator was speaking at a church service in Emuchula PAG Church in Emuhaya Constituency, where he vowed to floor the DP as early as 9 am come the election day.
“By 9 in the morning, I will be escorting DP Ruto and his supporters to Sugoi,” Khaniri affirmed, referring to Ruto's home in Uasin Gishu.
Khaniri expressed regret that the Luhya community had failed to use its numbers to win the presidency and urged community leaders to unite if they want to ascend to power.
“Why should I support another community to ascend to power when we have not tested that power?” he posed.
According to Khaniri, the time was ripe for other communities to occupy the country's top office given that all the presidents since independence have come from only two tribes.
He urged communities that have been in power to allow others to also lead the country.
The Vihiga senator further criticised leaders in the Tangatanga group terming them selfish and that they were only looking out for their private interests rather than those of the Luhya community.
He also challenged leaders to work to improve the lives of their electorate once they get elected into office.
- LANDMARK28 November 2021 - 2:41 pm
- exquisite28 November 2021 - 1:50 pm
- SHAKEN28 November 2021 - 12:46 pm
- expert opinion28 November 2021 - 1:13 pm
- Take Note28 November 2021 - 11:32 am
- LOGGERHEADS28 November 2021 - 11:26 am
- on the spot28 November 2021 - 10:36 am
- TEACHING28 November 2021 - 10:16 am
- HELPED28 November 2021 - 9:58 am
- Murky Waters28 November 2021 - 9:40 am
- Gloves off28 November 2021 - 9:10 am
- revealed28 November 2021 - 7:53 am