Three armed gunmen, on Wednesday, September 11, staged a heist at Odda Airstrip in Moyale town moments after a plane ferrying money to a local bank landed.
According to a police report from Moyale police station, the aircraft had left Nairobi at 10:35 AM and landed at the remote airstrip at 1:00 PM.
The plane had three occupants; the pilot, co-pilot and a cash officer, and was to deliver the money to a local bank official accompanied by an officer attached to the Critical Infrastructure Protection Unit (CIPU).
The pilot went to check the fuel level when three strangers emerged from behind the waiting bay. One of them produced a pistol and ordered them to lie down.
The other suspects forced the door of the aircraft to open and managed to remove two sacks among the three containing an unknown amount of money.
The robbers escaped with the money bags and escaped using a motorcycle which was strategically parked next to the waiting bay.
In the haste of leaving the scene, one bag was left inside the aircraft.
Police officers visited the scene and it was established that the suspects escaped by cutting the chain-link perimeter fence.
No one was injured during the robbery and police are searching the area to find the assailants.
The three occupants of the plane have been escorted for further interrogation.
No reports of any arrests had been made by the time this article was published.
- buried hatchet1 June 2020 - 4:22 pm
- costly outing1 June 2020 - 3:48 pm
- congratulations1 June 2020 - 3:43 pm
- Almost normal1 June 2020 - 2:54 pm
- past lessons1 June 2020 - 2:32 pm
- extra-judicial1 June 2020 - 2:08 pm
- Score card1 June 2020 - 1:50 pm
- here's Why1 June 2020 - 1:06 pm
- Spotted1 June 2020 - 12:09 pm
- in person1 June 2020 - 12:04 pm
- Punishment1 June 2020 - 11:37 am
- Anticipations1 June 2020 - 11:38 am