Embakasi East Member of parliament, Babu Owino, on Tuesday, October 16, held a press conference in order to address the increasing unrest in public universities and offer an interesting way out.
The vocal legislator wasted no time in claiming that his contacts at the various universities claimed that vice-chancellors had devised a way of paying hooligans to stir trouble.
Owino alleged that once the hired goons had kickstarted protests, the head of the institutions would then promptly close them temporarily and require students to report back with exorbitant amounts of money, which he claimed are pocketed.
"These universities are charging between Ksh 5,000, and 10,000," Babu stated.
"Due to the constant unrest and frustrations experienced by the students, we have decided to form a new body.
The Central Organization of Students Unions (COSU) will protect the inherent rights of students as enshrined in the apex of the law," Babu pronounced as he unveiled his outfit rekindling memories of his prolonged stay as the chairman of the Students Organisation of Nairobi University (Sonu).
Babu went on to warn the various VCs, making it clear that he was keeping a close eye on them with an intent to bring the entire cartel down.
"An injury to one comrade is an injury to all and an injury to Vice-Chancellors is an injury to satan," the MP hilariously affirmed.
Pwani University's closure on Monday, October 14, brought the total number of universities closed over unrest within a month's period to four.
Kenyatta, Moi, and Masinde Muliro universities were closed on October 9, October 11, and September 18, respectively.
Here's Babu Owino's full statement:
- Covid who?27 September 2020 - 6:55 pm
- road carnage27 September 2020 - 6:36 pm
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm
- Ranked27 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- unveiled27 September 2020 - 2:16 pm
- Commendable27 September 2020 - 1:24 pm
- people power27 September 2020 - 11:34 am
- Costly Journey27 September 2020 - 11:37 am