ODM Nominated Senator Naomi Masitsa Shiyonga on Tuesday, October 22, made headlines when she clinched the Global Empowerment Award under the global legislative governance category.
Naomi was recognised for her efforts in empowering people at grassroots levels in the awards founded by the Americas Empowerment Institute (AEMPIN) in cooperation with Texas Southern University.
Naomi offered scholarships to students in secondary schools, built houses for widows and the elderly and held fundraisers for self-help groups, Saccos and church conventions.
The awards are meant to honour outstanding individuals, government officials and institutions, NGOs, entrepreneurs, and corporate executives from developing countries and emerging economies who positively impact the political, economic or social growth of their countries
The ODM party took to Twitter to congratulate the legislator for her efforts, terming it a big milestone and a great honour to the women of Kenya.
Teacher Peter Tabichi grabbed the global teacher's award, Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to run a sub-two-hour marathon, Erick Ademba, was feted the inaugural African Union Continental Teacher prize, Brigid Kosgei broke the women's marathon record in Chicago and team Kenya came second in the IAAF world championships in Doha, Qatar.
- full speech6 June 2020 - 4:13 pm
- Gradual6 June 2020 - 4:15 pm
- Not yet over6 June 2020 - 3:47 pm
- free to move6 June 2020 - 3:37 pm
- Anxious6 June 2020 - 2:40 pm
- smart leader6 June 2020 - 2:56 pm
- unfortunate6 June 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Soaring6 June 2020 - 3:28 pm
- honour6 June 2020 - 2:10 pm
- Insider6 June 2020 - 1:55 pm
- rip6 June 2020 - 1:00 pm
- taking action6 June 2020 - 12:27 pm