160 Mediamax Network Limited employees received termination letters, a month after the Kijabe Street-based media company gave notice of mass firings.
Kenyans.co.ke has now confirmed that the media house laid off its highly salaried, all editors and senior news reporters in the exercise.
Some of those mentioned by the sources included; News anchor Mwanaisha Chidzuga, Managing Editor, Swahili Franklin Wambugu, Deputy Managing Editor Ali Mtenzi, Head of sports Torome Tirike, Tony Timase Head of Business, Senior Reporter Frankilin Macharia and Swahili Anchor Juma Bhalo.
Another source corroborated the information adding that by 3 p.m. employees who were yet to be called, were huddled at their work stations awaiting their fate.
"Everybody is just waiting for their fate at their stations, things are very bad," he stated.
Further, he added that those who had been laid off would have a meeting at the Emory hotel in Kileleshwa on Thursday, October 31.
The morning of Wednesday, October 30, started with a staff meeting where the HR department and the acting CEO Ken Ngaruiya briefed them on what to expect later on in the day.
"As a company, we've tried everything, we looked at all the conditions including economic conditions and tried to minimize the effects of the proposed redundancy. We have followed all the due legal processes to ensure that the redundancy effect and the process is done in the best way possible.
"It's been a difficult one month for everyone and it doesn't go unnoticed," Ngaruiya stated.
One journalist at the company's flagship vernacular television station, Kameme TV, told Kenyans.co.ke that he received a phone call from the HR department shortly after the meeting confirming the bad news.
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Imagesad22 February 2020 - 1:50 pm
- ImageLocked22 February 2020 - 1:34 pm