Mombasa Governor Ali Hassan Joho swiftly responded after a Saloon car with unknown occupants plunged into the Indian Ocean on Saturday morning, December 7, at the Likoni Ferry channel.
Joho revealed that he had deployed a team from the county to collaborate with the multi-agency rescue team in conducting the rescue operation.
"Early this morning we had another tragic moment at the Likoni ferry crossing where a saloon car plunged into the Indian Ocean from the Likoni mainland ramp. I immediately dispatched a unit from our inspectorate department to join the multi-agency rescue team in the ongoing operation," Joho affirmed.
He further called upon Kenyans and Kenya Ferry Services management to exercise caution as they proceeded to cross the channel.
"In the meantime, I urge ferry users and management to exercise extreme caution as we join the families of the occupants in the vehicle in prayer. We cannot afford to have any more casualties in a similar fashion more so when it can be avoided," Joho affirmed.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Director of Communications in Mombasa county, Richard Chacha, lauded the governor for the timely intervention and efforts towards the rescue mission.
"As of now we cannot speak more on the matter, but we hope that the Government of Kenya in conjunction with Mombasa County Government conduct a timely rescue mission," Chacha stated.
The Kenya Ferry Services and the Kenya Navy rescue team immediately initiated a search operation and the mission is underway.
The Saturday morning tragedy happened barely three months after the September 9 incident where a mother and her daughter drowned in the ocean.
- Order5 December 2022 - 7:33 pm
- Convicted5 December 2022 - 5:34 pm
- Unraveled5 December 2022 - 4:58 pm
- On the spot5 December 2022 - 5:34 pm
- Ordeal5 December 2022 - 7:03 pm
- Nabbed5 December 2022 - 3:43 pm
- Reunion5 December 2022 - 6:20 pm
- Transition5 December 2022 - 3:15 pm
- tragic5 December 2022 - 2:55 pm
- Commonwealth5 December 2022 - 2:59 pm
- Justice5 December 2022 - 2:26 pm
- The Law is Clear5 December 2022 - 4:16 pm