Gatundu South MP Moses Kuria's hate speech case suffered a setback on Monday, December 10, after crucial evidence mysteriously disappeared from the prosecutor's possession.
In the case, which was prosecuted by the office of DPP Noordin Haji, the lawmaker was accused of making disparaging utterances in June 2015 which were likely to cause harm to some Kenyans.
The prosecution was subsequently directed to find out who caused the disappearance of the witnesses' statements.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, the lawmaker confirmed that the material had indeed been lost and that the DPP had been given three weeks to sort out the matter.
The lawmaker was accused of inciting youth to attack and “slash” politicians opposed to National Youth Service projects in the country.
He allegedly committed the crime at Gatundu Stadium in Gatundu Town within Kiambu County.
He is claimed to have uttered the words, "That is why I told you to come with your pangas. They are not for clearing bushes only, have you heard? A person like that you be dealt with.”
He was charged on November 25, 2015, at a Nairobi court.
The prosecution has until mid-January 2020 to establish how the statements disappeared.
He was charged afresh over the offence in July 2019.
- lovebirds10 August 2020 - 6:36 pm
- New Horizons10 August 2020 - 6:05 pm
- close shave10 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- watch out10 August 2020 - 5:12 pm
- City Tour10 August 2020 - 5:08 pm
- Anticipated Return10 August 2020 - 4:02 pm
- stranded10 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- latest10 August 2020 - 2:27 pm
- furious10 August 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Ultimatums10 August 2020 - 1:09 pm
- By a Whisker10 August 2020 - 1:21 pm
- the journey10 August 2020 - 12:56 pm