On Thursday, December 12, 2019, Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko engaged his supporters for the first time since being released on bail.
Addressing his followers online, the flamboyant governor expressed his gratitude to his family and all those who stood by him for the period he had been put behind bars.
He further gave an update about his health, disclosing that he was still receiving treatment at his home.
"Fellow Nairobians, the last few days have been a bit difficult. However, I would like to thank my family, friends, well-wishers and all of you the great people of Nairobi for standing with me.
"I am home now and continuing with my treatment after posting bail yesterday through the assistance of my supporters, friends and family," stated the governor.
He further promised that he would comply with the conditions the court issued to him.
"As I have always said, I am a law-abiding citizen, hence shall comply with the court's decision that I stay away from my office to let justice take its course," he added.
Sonko was arrested in a dramatic fashion in Voi on Friday, December 6, 2019.
In a video that went viral on the same day, the governor was seen fighting off police officers as they attempted to handcuff him.
He was released on Wednesday, December 11, on a Ksh15 million bail. Anti-Corruption Court Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti barred him from accessing his office and to submit his passport.
He was also warned against interfering with witnesses or commenting on the case, even on social media.
- New Horizons10 August 2020 - 6:05 pm
- close shave10 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- watch out10 August 2020 - 5:12 pm
- City Tour10 August 2020 - 5:08 pm
- Anticipated Return10 August 2020 - 4:02 pm
- stranded10 August 2020 - 2:49 pm
- latest10 August 2020 - 2:27 pm
- furious10 August 2020 - 1:29 pm
- Ultimatums10 August 2020 - 1:09 pm
- By a Whisker10 August 2020 - 1:21 pm
- the journey10 August 2020 - 12:56 pm
- cash crunch10 August 2020 - 11:45 am