Tobias Otieno,33, stabbed himself on December 14 at Rodi Kopany Market in Homa Bay County after his efforts to mend a failed relationship with his 23-year old ex-girlfriend failed to bear fruit.
In a report by KNA, the man attempted to reconcile with his ex-girlfriend, Irene Akoth, in vain before he committed the crime.
Witnesses who spoke to the news agency indicated that the deceased turned wild after his request was turned down and in deep anger, retrieved a kitchen knife hidden in his pocket to attack his former lover in the full glare of the public at the open-air market.
The attack on Akoth, who was cooking chips at a stall in the highly-populated market before his jilted former boyfriend showed up, left her nursing serious injuries and was admitted at California Hospital.
Otieno turned the knife on himself multiple times and finally succumbed before he could be rushed to hospital.
Residents further indicated that Otieno was found to have a dangerous acaricide in his pocket, a clear indication that he was on a mission to commit suicide.
Kalanya Kanyango Chief Fredrick Onyango confirmed the incident, recalling that the man had failed to reconcile with his girlfriend many times before.
The chief further condemned the incident, terming it as a desperate action that shouldn't have ended in death.
The administrator appealed to young men in the area to look for better ways of resolving issues instead of resorting to suicide.
The body of the deceased was taken to Homa Bay County Referral Hospital Mortuary.
- latest report1 October 2020 - 3:30 pm
- raid1 October 2020 - 3:50 pm
- Outcry1 October 2020 - 2:46 pm
- Power play1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- facts1 October 2020 - 2:22 pm
- Listen Up1 October 2020 - 1:57 pm
- destroyed1 October 2020 - 1:39 pm
- god's plan1 October 2020 - 12:37 pm
- making a living1 October 2020 - 12:27 pm
- Nerve-wracking1 October 2020 - 12:27 pm
- Alert1 October 2020 - 11:48 am
- Outcry1 October 2020 - 11:35 am