For Citizen TV Managing Editor Jamila Mohamed, hers was a story of humble beginnings to become one of the best journalists in Kenya.
Speaking during a 2018 interview on Horizon TV, the accomplished journalist explained that media wasn't really a career aspect for her after high school.
"I completed the computer courses and one day I heard an advert that an Islamic station - IQRA FM - was looking for a presenter. I applied and though I didn't have qualifications, I was encouraged to go for the interviews," she stated during the Meet & Greet with Aisha Khan segment.
When she went for the interview, Jamila was offered the position of a sales representative, "I was willing to try out anything, so I agreed," she added.
The award-winning journalist then discovered she wasn't performing well as a sales representative.
One day, the person who was supposed to read the news did not show up and the station manager picked her as a temporary replacement but she gave it her best shot.
"The station manager saw some potential in me and I started doing bulletins," she narrated.
From IQRA FM, Jamilla explained that she went for interviews at Nation Media Group after a vacancy arose for a Swahili reporter.
At the station, she was worried about having to read the news without the hijab. Fortunately she didn't have to compromise on her dressing.
Jamila was asked to read the 7 pm news by the station manager and she had to step up and take up the challenge.
At NTV, she served as a news editor/ anchor before being promoted to managing editor at QTV. She worked at NMG for 16 years before she moved to Royal Media Services in 2018 as managing editor of the Swahili division.
Here is the video courtesy of Horizon TV:
- Chaos25 September 2020 - 4:35 pm
- fire25 September 2020 - 4:06 pm
- Uproar25 September 2020 - 3:40 pm
- new directive25 September 2020 - 2:14 pm
- in the cold25 September 2020 - 1:52 pm
- Congrats!25 September 2020 - 12:59 pm
- exquisite25 September 2020 - 12:53 pm
- stay woke25 September 2020 - 11:57 am
- Power play25 September 2020 - 11:30 am
- barricaded25 September 2020 - 11:24 am
- Infuriated25 September 2020 - 10:27 am
- Cancelled25 September 2020 - 9:19 am