K24 TV news anchor Anjlee Gadhvi on Friday, January 10, 2020, died at the Aga Khan hospital in Nairobi.
Three sources at the media house confirmed to Kenyans.co.ke that Gadhvi succumbed after a long battle with cancer at 1:15 pm.
K24 Head of TV and Digital Peter Opondo mourned her death in a Twitter post.
"Oh my friend Anjlee Gadhi, you fought that cancer with all your might. You did it for your kids, husband. Never lost hope. You always smiled through the pain and insisted on coming to work even at your weakest points. We believed you were winning...until now! RIP my friend," K24 Head of TV Peter Opondo posted.
Gadhvi was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2014 but went public about it in 2015 after funds raised by family and friends got drained.
After she appealed for public help, Kenyans donated over Ksh6 million in hours.
The mother of two underwent a liver transplant that lasted 18 hours after the cancerous cells kept on recurring after she began chemotherapy.
In an emotional video that went viral in August 2019, the anchor tried to explain to her five-year-old daughter why she had to leave the country for two weeks to acquire specialized treatment in India.
The news anchor tried to make her daughter understand why she had to go for treatment.
"Because you have to get in a machine that has to check if you're alright or not," the daughter stated.
"I'm going to miss you," she added amidst tears, as the two embraced each other.
- next level25 May 2020 - 1:50 pm
- Extreme Measures25 May 2020 - 1:03 pm
- coming clean25 May 2020 - 12:40 pm
- winning25 May 2020 - 11:48 am
- Head On25 May 2020 - 11:08 am
- Vaccine25 May 2020 - 10:59 am
- Saddening25 May 2020 - 10:07 am
- helping hand25 May 2020 - 9:55 am
- Poisoned25 May 2020 - 8:50 am
- heated25 May 2020 - 8:20 am
- baby fever25 May 2020 - 7:19 am
- Hit Hard25 May 2020 - 7:35 am