Seventeen-year-old Western Stima FC striker, Benson Omala, on Wednesday, January 29 became the youngest ever recipient of the Kenya Premier League (KPL) Player of The Month award.
Omala, who is a Form Four Student at Kisumu Day High School, received a trophy and a 49" inch television set from the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK) which sponsors the award.
Omala scored six goals in the month of December 2019 as he staked his claim for a place in Western Stima's first team.
The young prospect received his award at Kisumu Day High School grounds on Wednesday, January 29 as his fellow students looked on.
Omala's undeniable talent became known to scouts and coaches during his appearances in school games and, later, the Chapa Dimba Na Safaricom grassroots football tournament.
In 2019, he helped the Kisumu Day High School football team to emerge as county champions, with his goals proving crucial in several fixtures.
Omala then played for Manyatta United (Kisumu) which won the Meru Chapa Dimba national finals in June 2019.
The youngster scored five goals at the Chapa Dimba regional stage, winning the regional golden boot as Manyatta secured a place to represent Nyanza on the national stage.
He then signed for Western Stima and received his first call-up to national team Harambee Stars in November 2019 ahead of the Council for East and Central Africa Football Associations (CECAFA) tournament that was held in Uganda from December 7-19.
Omala revealed in past interviews his desire to play for English Premier League (EPL) side, Manchester United in the future.
“I want to establish my game at Western Stima before I move out of the country. I aspire to play for Manchester United or Barcelona in the future,” he told Hivi Sasa.
The student revealed in the same interview how he manages to juggle books and football.
“I normally play football during holidays but during school days I concentrate on my studies,” Omala explained.
- ImageIn the footsteps21 February 2020 - 9:20 pm
- ImageFamily Feud21 February 2020 - 8:31 pm
- ImageSpecial liking21 February 2020 - 8:03 pm
- Imageunder the hammer21 February 2020 - 8:07 pm
- ImageSad21 February 2020 - 7:51 pm
- ImageMemories21 February 2020 - 8:44 pm
- ImageBamboozled21 February 2020 - 7:06 pm
- ImageRelief21 February 2020 - 6:17 pm
- ImageHere are the numbers21 February 2020 - 5:52 pm
- Imagenabbed21 February 2020 - 5:39 pm
- Imagedeserved21 February 2020 - 6:04 pm
- ImageConfrontation21 February 2020 - 5:19 pm