- The Standard
Another tragedy has hit a section of the country after a disease outbreak claimed seven lives.
The fresh Cholera outbreak that was reported at Illeret Ward in Marsabit County on Thursday, April 30, came at a time the country was grappling with containing the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic that as of Wednesday, April 29, had claimed 15 lives.
County Health Executive Jamma Wolde stated that 134 people had been taken to the hospital and were receiving treatment after contracting Cholera.
This comes at the time the county of Marsabit is struggling with putting measures to contain Covid19 pandemic.Marsabit County Health CEC Jamma Wolde inside his office.Marsabit Times
Cholera is a bacterial disease that spreads through contaminated water as well as food and mostly hit slum areas hard.
The Ministry of Health had, in April 2019, warned counties to be vigilant of a resurgence in Cholera outbreak and challenged them to treat their water.
Five counties had at the time exhibited a high tendency of the outbreak after they recorded 1,463 suspected cholera infections, 81 of which tested positive.
The counties were Nairobi, Kajiado, Machakos, Garissa and Narok.
"The outbreak is still active in Machakos, Nairobi, Garissa, and Kajiado counties," noted the ministry at the time.
Nairobi also recorded a high number of cases at the time reaching 65 which was attributed to unsanitary food that was reportedly served at Nairobi Hospital.
"Out of the 10 stool samples taken from the cases and food handlers at the institution for laboratory testing in NPHLS, six tested positive for vibrio cholerae," stated the ministry.A nurse attends to a cholera patient at a hospital in Kisumu in 2018File
- ray of hope14 July 2020 - 1:20 pm
- Research14 July 2020 - 1:20 pm
- going big14 July 2020 - 1:04 pm
- at risk14 July 2020 - 12:44 pm
- opportunities14 July 2020 - 12:28 pm
- transformation14 July 2020 - 12:31 pm
- Hitting Back14 July 2020 - 12:01 pm
- Another One14 July 2020 - 11:54 am
- up the ladder14 July 2020 - 11:28 am
- siliver lining?14 July 2020 - 10:27 am
- Comeback14 July 2020 - 10:36 am
- heartbreaking14 July 2020 - 10:08 am