The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has penned a protest letter to the Council of Governors over the exclusion of Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko in an event the UN agency deemed he needed to be part of.
The UNDP wrote the letter addressed to the CoG Chairman Wycliffe Oparanya to lift the decision to exclude Sonko from participating at the flagging off ceremony of volunteer health workers in Kajiado.
“We refer to our letter of June 12, 2020, regarding the flagging off ceremony for the County United Nations Volunteers health experts to be held in Kajiado on July 1, 2020.Kakamega Governor Wycliffe Oparanya addressing the media on March 16, 2020.
"UNDP would like to request you in your capacity as the chair, Council of Governors to please invite Hon. Mike Mbuvi Sonko Governor Nairobi County on behalf of UNDP,” read the letter in part.
The flag off is expected to take place on July 1, 2020, that will see 50 health workers deployed to 14 counties.
They will hold their respective positions for six months.
The response support was created to complement county efforts in combating Covid-19 virus that has already claimed 144 lives with over 6,000 infected so far.
The counties, where the workers will be deployed, include Busia, Garissa, Kajiado, Nairobi, Kakamega, Kiambu, Kilifi, Kisumu, Machakos, Mandera, Migori, Taita Taveta, Uasin Gishu and Wajir.
The UNDP has invested approximately Ksh56 million into the project.
Sonko is the current United Nations Volunteer champion after he was selected for his outstanding humanitarian work in 2019.Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko speaking during the JKlive show on March 4, 2020.
- New Bill30 September 2020 - 8:09 am
- Quick recovery30 September 2020 - 7:46 am
- Insider30 September 2020 - 7:07 am
- bitter exchange29 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- Expert Advice29 September 2020 - 7:12 pm
- panic29 September 2020 - 6:53 pm
- not us29 September 2020 - 6:09 pm
- Cracks Whip29 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Time Out29 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- it's time29 September 2020 - 5:10 pm
- Sad state29 September 2020 - 5:32 pm
- big win29 September 2020 - 5:02 pm