Kenya Power customers can now purchase tokens and settle electricity bills using bonga points following a partnership agreement between the electrictiy distributor and Safaricom.
On Friday, July 24, the company announced the move would help 7.1 million domestic customers facing pressure from suppressed incomes due to the economic effects of the Coronavirus pandemic.
“As an organization, we are acutely aware of the impact that this pandemic has had on many Kenyans. We are therefore calling on our customers to take advantage of this opportunity and pay for electricity using Bonga Points,” Bernard Ngugi, Managing Director and CEO, Kenya Power stated.A customer keys in tokens in a prepaid electric meter.File
The service is available for both prepaid and postpaid customers and there is no minimum or maximum number of bonga points one can settle their bills with.
Under the system, customers can now redeem their Bonga Points to purchase tokens or pay for their bills at the rate of 20 cents per Bonga Point.
In the event you want to purchase tokens worth Ksh500, you will be required to have 2,500 bonga points.
How to buy Tokens and pay electricity bills using bonga points
1) Dial *126# and select 'Lipa na Bonga Points'
2) Select Pay Bill
3) Enter Business number 888888 for postpaid and 888880 for prepaid
4) Enter account/ meter number
5) Enter amount you want to pay
6) Confirm the details of your payment and input your service pin to complete the paymentSafaricom customers can redeem their Bonga Points for Kenya Power tokens and electricity bills.
You will receive your tokens immediately you purchase with your Bonga points.
To check how many points one will need to pay for their bill, the customer is required to dial *126# select ‘Lipa Na Bonga’, then select ‘Bonga Calculator’.
The customer will be requested to put in the amount they want to pay and get a response showing the number of points one will need to pay for the bill.
It is important to note that there are no extra charges to using the Bonga points. Only the Bonga Points value of the bill you are paying will be deducted from your Bonga balance once redeemed.
In the spirit of helping out a friend, one can also redeem bonga points to purchase electricity tokens for another person. Once you insert the paybill number, the account number you choose can be of the other person.
Customers paying for electricity using Bonga Points will be subjected to the applicable electricity tariff as stipulated by the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority.
The Bonga loyalty scheme was introduced in 2007 with enrolled customers accumulating a point for every Ksh10 spent on services on the Safaricom network.
- be warned16 June 2021 - 3:29 pm
- justice16 June 2021 - 1:55 pm
- Heartbreaking16 June 2021 - 1:45 pm
- Remarkable16 June 2021 - 1:05 pm
- Revealed16 June 2021 - 1:09 pm
- Face Off16 June 2021 - 11:05 am
- details16 June 2021 - 10:39 am
- Take Note16 June 2021 - 10:46 am
- Ambushed16 June 2021 - 10:00 am
- Tough Times16 June 2021 - 9:28 am
- Gone16 June 2021 - 8:15 am
- Cautioned16 June 2021 - 7:14 am