Garissa MP Aden Duale, on Wednesday, August 12, demanded the national government to issue a statement on the whereabouts of Kenyan journalist Yassin Juma.
Speaking in the National Assembly, the legislator further accused the Ethiopian government of violating human rights by disregarding international judicial laws.
"To date, Ethiopian police are still holding Mr Juma in illegal detention contrary to court orders and in complete digression from international accords on judicial processes," he stated.File image of independent Kenyan journalist and former NTV reporter Yassin JumaFile
The former National Assembly Majority Leader tasked the chairperson of the Departmental Committee on Defence and Foreign Relations to address 3 key things:
- What specific measures are being pursued by the Government of Kenya to secure the release of Yassin Juma as well as to guarantee his absolute freedom.
- What immediate assistance of facilitation is the government currently according the journalist.
- What measures does the government have in place to safeguard Kenyans from similar treatment abroad
Juma has spent the last 40 days in detention, following his arrest on July 3, while he was while covering protests that erupted following the killing of Oromo singer Hachalu Hundessa.
The singer, known for his activism, was gunned down in the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa, sparking fierce protests.
Juma's lawyer, Lawyer Tuli Bayisa, is in a state of bewilderment as, despite the courts ordering the journalist's release on bail, on August 5, he is yet to gain his freedom.
The renowned scribe was charged with inciting ethnic violence and plotting to kill senior Ethiopian officials.
He was arrested alongside two Ethiopian journalists who are also facing the same charges.Ethiopian singer, songwriter, and civil rights activist Hachalu Hundessa.File
- bravo!23 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- turf wars23 September 2020 - 7:56 pm
- Baba Speaks23 September 2020 - 7:16 pm
- be warned23 September 2020 - 7:01 pm
- changes23 September 2020 - 6:44 pm
- road carnage23 September 2020 - 6:37 pm
- please23 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Pay Up23 September 2020 - 4:31 pm
- man of many firsts23 September 2020 - 4:57 pm
- disaster averted23 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Ruto's Reaction23 September 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Another one23 September 2020 - 3:28 pm