The US donated a war chest worth Ksh440 million through the US Africa Command (AFRICOM).
According to an AFRICOM report on September 16, Kenya received 23 combat and logistics vehicles.
The equipment included 15 Mack trucks, two Mack tow trucks and eight up-armored Humvees to support KDF combat and logistics operations.
The vehicles were received by Major General Joseph Kivunzi, who is the head of the Kenya Army’s Western Command.KDF soldiers receiving equipment from the US through the US Africa Command
According to the deal, KDF soldiers will also receive training on how to use and maintain the equipment.
Since 2018, the US has assisted the KDF with over Ksh1 billion in equipment and training in support of its mission against Al-Shabaab extremists along the Somali border. Kenya has been working since 2011 to stamp out extremism along the shared border.
Kenya has provided more than 4,000 soldiers to the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) which is expected to end its operations in December 2021.
KDF also receives military support from UK which runs a Counter-Improvised Explosive Device (C-IED) training programme in the country.
Soldiers from Kenya and the region are trained in various types of explosives used in war such as projectiles, grenades, rockets and landmines.
Since 2016, the British Peace Support Team (Africa) and KDF have trained more than 1,700 military and police personnel from 22 countries in detecting and disarming IEDs.
Germany has also allocated Ksh230.2 million for the development of a new C-IED Wing in the HPSS, which will significantly enhance the infrastructure available to deliver training.KDF soldiers during one of their missions in Somalia.File
- Goodbye24 October 2020 - 2:38 pm
- doppleganger24 October 2020 - 2:11 pm
- sweet24 October 2020 - 1:51 pm
- gruesome24 October 2020 - 1:28 pm
- Halleluhya!24 October 2020 - 1:00 pm
- will they?24 October 2020 - 12:13 pm
- Presidential Treatment24 October 2020 - 11:42 am
- helping hand24 October 2020 - 11:30 am
- Her Take24 October 2020 - 10:37 am
- Tough Crowd24 October 2020 - 9:59 am
- must watch24 October 2020 - 9:31 am
- fatal24 October 2020 - 8:45 am