- Citizen Digital
A Kenyan athlete set to participate in next month's Eker I Run Marathon in Turkey is nursing serious injuries following an attack by hippos.
A report by Citizen TV indicated that the athlete, Edwin Mokua, 28, was exercising in Manguu Village near Nyahururu Town when the attack happened.
He sustained injuries in his back as well as the shoulder and was taken to the Nyahururu Private Hospital for first aid.
Addressing the press, his training partner Dennis Kipkosgei disclosed that he noticed Mokua had drifted away during their evening jog when he became concerned.Athlete Edwin Mokua at Nyahururu Referral Hospital on Tuesday, September 29, 2020.Citizen Digital
He returned to get him but saw that a number of hippos had attacked him and left him with injuries.
"He was attacked by hippos. He had colleagues who attempted to rescue him but sadly, he was deeply wounded," stated another witness
Mokua, a champion of The Trabzon Half Marathon, had travelled from Kisii and was preparing to leave for Turkey to participate in the marathon set for the weekend beginning Saturday, October 3.
Mokua was later transferred to Nyahururu County & Referral Hospital for specialised treatment.
The athlete's coach Francis Kamau disclosed that residents from Nyahururu had endured attacks from the wild animals since Covid-19 pandemic hit the country.
He appealed to the state to open a stadium in the region to help athletes practice without attacks from the world animals.
Over the past month, the hippos, which residents claim have increased in number, attacked and injured two people in the area with the latest case having taken place four days ago.A hippo pictured with its mouth wide openEbrahim Wildlife Photography
- upgrade21 October 2020 - 7:30 pm
- no-show21 October 2020 - 7:02 pm
- Get Out21 October 2020 - 5:49 pm
- taking chances21 October 2020 - 6:04 pm
- emergency21 October 2020 - 6:17 pm
- counterpunch21 October 2020 - 4:41 pm
- On the hunt21 October 2020 - 4:57 pm
- latest report21 October 2020 - 4:01 pm
- angered21 October 2020 - 4:16 pm
- indecisive21 October 2020 - 4:26 pm
- tough tines21 October 2020 - 3:29 pm
- My Cup of Tea21 October 2020 - 4:03 pm