President Uhuru Kenyatta's Ksh65 billion Nairobi Expressway project is likely to suffer delays.
A report by The Standard on Monday, October 13, indicated that a number of environmentalists from Daima Coalition filed a case with the National Environment Tribunal (NET) seeking to have the project stopped.
In their application, the team argued that the project's implementation flouted environmental rules.
The team made the implementation the auspices of Daima Coalition, Wangari Mathai Foundation, Dandora Community Justice Centre and Natural Justice among other organisations.Construction of the elevated section of Nairobi Expressway along NextGen Mall, NairobiFile
They disclosed that they resorted to the move after realising increased falling of trees in Nairobi along Waiyaki Way, Uhuru Highway, and Mombasa road to pave way for the expressway.
They further explained that they were concerned at general lack of regard to green spaces by contractors when developing road designs and plans.
National Environment Management Authority and China Roads and Bridge Cooperation (CRBC) and Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) were named as respondents in the application.
In September, members of public expressed their anger at KeNHA for cutting down trees along Waiyaki Way to pave way for the road construction.
The expressway will see one of the oldest rugby clubs in Kenya Mwamba RFC lose its iconic and richly historic Railway Grounds, famously known as Reru.
Its construction commenced in August 2020 and is set to end in December 2022.
To expedite its construction, the contractor introduced a technology which reduces the construction period of the elevated section by 50%.Construction of the elevated section of Nairobi Expressway along NextGen Mall, NairobiFile
- Listen Up23 November 2020 - 7:58 pm
- Rain Alert23 November 2020 - 7:52 pm
- Innovative23 November 2020 - 7:45 pm
- moving ahead23 November 2020 - 7:16 pm
- Fire Back23 November 2020 - 6:47 pm
- triple tragedy23 November 2020 - 6:24 pm
- update23 November 2020 - 4:52 pm
- Game on23 November 2020 - 5:25 pm
- Changes Tune23 November 2020 - 4:37 pm
- Unfortunate23 November 2020 - 3:42 pm
- Take Caution23 November 2020 - 2:38 pm
- troubling time23 November 2020 - 3:00 pm