- Daily Nation
A government employee in Bungoma County and his brother, a police officer, have been sentenced to 18 years in jail for plotting to dispossess land belonging to orphans.
The duo, Kennedy Mairura Nathan and Samuel Mogaka Nathan, were handed a two-year term for each of the nine counts which they were charged with by a Nyamira court.
The two and others not before the court were charged that on unknown dates in 2012, they jointly forged a Transfer of Land form, which they stated had been signed by an uncle to the orphans, Joseph Birundu.Police officers and citizens pictured outside Kasarani Police Station.File
The court heard that Birundu was by then the administrator of the property.
However, they pleaded not guilty before Keroka Senior Resident Magistrate Kimutai Matata.
One of three orphans, Edwin Omwedu, told the court that their father never sold the four-acre piece of land.
The 19-year-old boy stated that he and his siblings had found people setting demarcations on the piece of land, including where their parents had been buried.
During the hearing, seven prosecution witnesses persuaded the court that Mairua and Mogaka, were involved in the two offenses.
The three orphans have been under their aunt's care, Eunice Barongo, since 2014.Inside the precincts of a Kenyan courtFile
At the same time, a businessman in Nyeri County was charged with forgery of documents and letters of administration with the intention of claiming a multibillion property which belonged to the late Wathuku Ngure.
The prosecutor claimed that the accused altered documents to show that he was the billionaire's son.
Charles Chomba alias Wathuku was charged with seven counts of forgery.
- At Last27 February 2021 - 7:27 am
- pressing26 February 2021 - 7:29 pm
- Change of Command26 February 2021 - 7:57 pm
- Boosted26 February 2021 - 7:31 pm
- unfortunate26 February 2021 - 7:48 pm
- justice26 February 2021 - 6:23 pm
- Upgrade26 February 2021 - 7:40 pm
- Caution26 February 2021 - 6:22 pm
- warning26 February 2021 - 5:43 pm
- let peace prevail26 February 2021 - 4:52 pm
- Happy26 February 2021 - 4:37 pm
- revealed26 February 2021 - 3:54 pm