President Uhuru Kenyatta has cleared the hospital bill of veteran radio presenter Leonard Mambo Mbotela who made a public appeal on November 13, 2020.
Citizen Digital was first to report that Kenyatta paid Ksh1 Million of the bill in cash facilitating for the discharge of the legendary media personality.
The radio personality was admitted at the Nairobi South Hospital on October 29, 2020, and his bill had accumulated to Ksh1,105,498.78.President Uhuru Kenyatta addressing the nation.PSCU
A family member further disclosed that the remaining amount was settled by a contribution from well-wishers who responded to an appeal.
In a letter signed by Human Resource Manager, Stephen Mutavi, the bill had to be cleared for Mbotela to be discharged.
"He is due for discharge on Friday 13th November 2020 as per the doctor's recommendation to continue with home care treatment.
"Any assistance given towards offsetting this bill will be highly appreciated," the letter read in part.
The journalist's career spans more than five decades, having joined Voice of Kenya (VoK), now Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC), in 1964 hosting one of the oldest shows on the station, Je huu ni ungwana?
He was also in the studio during the 1982 attempted coup when Kenya Airforce Soldiers forced him to announce their forceful takeover of government.
After his plea was shared on social media, a number of Kenyans opined that the KBC and State House ought to have handled the bill in appreciation of Mbotela's contribution to the country.
"I think for once, State House should foot the bills for this selfless Patriot," Festus Buluma stated.
"He did so much for KBC, warudishe mkono (they should clear the bill in return)," Boaz Sitati added.Radio Personality Leonard Mambo Mbotela during a past interview.
- Speak out26 November 2020 - 12:23 pm
- fulfilled wish26 November 2020 - 11:19 am
- Armed client26 November 2020 - 11:17 am
- Tough Times26 November 2020 - 10:45 am
- Drama26 November 2020 - 12:12 pm
- Strict Measures26 November 2020 - 9:53 am
- Keep off26 November 2020 - 10:12 am
- snubbed?26 November 2020 - 9:29 am
- breaks silence26 November 2020 - 8:48 am
- savings26 November 2020 - 9:09 am
- Ghost Staff26 November 2020 - 8:16 am
- undefire26 November 2020 - 7:52 am