Missing 8-Year Old Girl Found Brutally Murdered

Undated image of a crime scene
An Image of a police tape on a crime scene
Citizen Digital

The body of an eight-year-old who went missing last night (Monday) was on Tuesday, March 2 found in Kayu Village, Murang'a county. The girl was brutally murdered and dumped at a tea plantation.

Hannah Wambui was a grade one pupil at Rwathia Primary school went missing on March 1, 2021. According to residents, she had been left in the care of her father after her mother left for Nairobi to care for a sick relative.

She reportedly went missing at 7:30 pm at their shop in the homestead while her father was making supper. The father called the local Nyumba Kumi Chair, Gideon Gitahi who called for an immediate door-to-door search.

A suspect in handcuffs
An undated illustration of a suspect in handcuffs

"Her mother had gone to look after a sick relative in Nairobi and so the deceased had been left under the care of her father. The girl went missing while the father was preparing supper in the main house,” stated Gitahi.

One of the members of the search party raised an alarm after finding one of the girls' socks in a man's house.

"Her clothes were found in Kianguku shopping center but her socks were found at the bed of the main suspect leading us to conclude that he could have defiled the minor,” the locals reported.

However, police are also pursuing the angle of a ritual killing as the girl's private parts had been removed.

The man was arrested but the search went on until one neighbor stepped on the body of the girl in a tea plantation.

“I could not look at the body twice, I made a distress call and when people came, they confirmed that it was the missing girl,” said Mwangi who has found the body.

There were no bloodstains at the scene where she was found which led the locals to believe that the act must have been propagated elsewhere.

“Even if the girl was killed elsewhere and the body transferred to the scene, we could have seen bloodstains, and again the private parts were missing,” added Gitahi.

Kangema Subcounty Police Commander John Ogolla said they arrested the 34-year-old man in whose house a sock was found and investigations are underway to unravel the murder.

Undated image of an entrance to a Kenya police station.
An entrance to a Kenya police station in a photo dated 2018
NPS/ Twitter
  • . . . .