Kenyans have good taste in buying cars with many having to debate between the cost, functionality and design.
With more than 800 vehicles illegally finding new owners through theft almost annually, it is important to understand what car thieves target to be able to protect your vehicle better.
According to the latest data by the Association of Kenya Insurers, car thieves target car brands and models that are popular in the market and which makes it easier to get new buyers.
Toyota brands are the most stolen vehicles at 74%.A used cars yard.File
Isuzu, Nissan and Mitsubishi owners are the second, third and fourth most at risk at 5.64%, 4.33% and 3.28% respectively.
Mazda, Scania, Subaru, Mercedes Benz, Honda, Volkswagen, Suzuki, Chevrolet close the list of most targeted cars.
With regard to the make of vehicles, station wagons are the most stolen, comprising 60.03%, with saloon cars coming in second with 23.68%.
Lorries and pickups are also high targets due to their commercial viability.
When it comes to colour, white vehicles are the most common among stolen cars at (46.81%), while silver cars come in second at 31.53% and black ones are a distant third at 6%.
Cars worth less than Ksh 1 million are the most attractive to thieves comprising 64.14% of stolen vehicles
Most vehicles are stolen when parked (57.89%) while spare parts contribute 29.24% and carjackings at 12.87%.
To ensure you stay away from thieves with your car or vehicle while in Kenya, you need to put the precaution measures listed below:
A bar graph showing the most stolen cars in KenyaFile
- Park only in legally controlled zones in good view of security facilities.
- Do not leave valuables exposed in your car, these habits invite thieves easily.
- Do not park the car facing the gate. Parking your car facing away from the gate gives the thieves a hard time reversing and gives the owner room to go after the thieves.
- Have lights and horns in good condition since they serve as rescue items during a carjacking.
- Have your vehicle fitted with a tracking device that is always in good condition.
- unique15 April 2021 - 10:53 am
- Beware15 April 2021 - 9:27 am
- cache of weapons15 April 2021 - 8:32 am
- Relief15 April 2021 - 8:25 am
- Implicated15 April 2021 - 7:45 am
- hope15 April 2021 - 7:23 am
- dangerous14 April 2021 - 7:33 pm
- this is why14 April 2021 - 7:24 pm
- Scaling Heights14 April 2021 - 7:44 pm
- Remarkable14 April 2021 - 6:57 pm
- easy money14 April 2021 - 5:07 pm
- good news14 April 2021 - 5:00 pm